Monday, May 7, 2018

1949 February Ladies Home Journal

One of the neat-o magazines I picked up this past winter was this February of 1949 Ladies Home Journal.  It is jammed packed with colorful ads and articles!  Because there are so many, I will only be sharing a few of my favorites with you today.
 
 
The cover design was by illustrator Al Parker (1906-1985)---He did a number of Mother--Daughter covers for Ladies Home Journal over many years.
 
And here are a few ads to enjoy!
 
 
Oh I just love these Youngstown kitchens!  Back in the 1940s this was a high-class kitchen too.  My grandparents, like many families in this rural area, didn't have anything this fancy back in the 1940s.
 


 
I got a kick out of the small advertisement below.  It could be a predecessor of the more modern Zumba workout or even the "Sweatin' to the Oldies" workouts I used to see advertised on TV as a kid.  They say dancing is good exercise! 

 
I wonder how many of these Hotpoint ranges are still around, and if the "pushbuttons" still work. 
 
 
Maybe I'm just hungry but this cake looks good.  I don't think I've ever had a Chiffon cake.
 

 
Bon-Ami is my go-to cleaner to this day!  And I have one of those vintage styled cans she is holding.
Of course I don't USE the vintage one, I use the one I bought at the grocery store.  *sigh* it just isn't as cool as the old one.
 
 
Oooo more cake.
 

 
Here are some ads that were on the edges of opposite pages. 
 
 
 
Above is a double add for Libby's.  That reminded me of the old jingle "When it says Libby's Libby's Libby's on the label label label..."  (I'll leave the Libby's ad from You Tube below, because now you probably have it stuck in your head too.)
That's all for today.  I hope you enjoyed this little walk through the past.  Until another time, have a happy vintage day!
 
 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen! Do you still check this blog regularly? There is a story in this magazine I have been trying to track down, and I was wondering if you could email it to me?? Let me know! Thanks :)

    seharkness86@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete