Sunday, November 4, 2018

A Vintage Ad for Facial Tissues

Just a short post today, but here is a vintage ad from Kleenex that I found in a stack of loose Colliers magazine pages.  The pages were loose because back in the 1940s, my Grandmother used them to "beef up" the padding of her ironing board.  Not long ago, my folks found the loose pages while dismantling the antique, wooden ironing board.  I have photographed some of them.
 
This particular ad is very long and narrow advertisement positioned along the edge of the page.
 
 
I've created some close-ups to help us to see better.
I find it interesting that the younger person in this ad is very pretty, with her long locks of hair and her trim figure, while the middle aged woman (see below) all have double chins, their hair done up in buns and odd little hats. 
 
 
See what I mean...haha!
 
 
 
Kleenex were introduced here in the USA back in 1924,  and at first were used as a means of removing makeup.  It took a few years for the "use during colds" idea to become popular.  I'm all for "living vintage" and using a hanky to dab at my watery eyes, but I can't imagine going through cold season with only hankerchiefs!  Using a tissue just makes good sense!
 
That's all for today!  Until another time, have a happy vintage day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment