Saturday, January 26, 2019

Caldecott 2019

UPDATE!!!  Hello Lighthouse won!  Sophie Blackall is the 2019 Caldecott Medal Winner!

Monday, January 28th is Caldecott Medal Day!  I'm excited this year because I have a favorite.  
Hello Lighthouse by Sophie Blackall was my favorite book of 2018, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will win the top prize, or at least get recognized with an honor medal.


I received this book for my birthday and the illustrations are BEAUTIFUL!


I like the way the illustrator uses the book's height to show the complete cross-section of the tall lighthouse.  There are so many details!
I like her use of ropes and other nautical objects throughout the story to frame her pictures and to add to the story.
  


But, as much as I love Hello Lighthouse, I have a gut feeling the book Dreamers by Yuyi Morales will take home the top prize.  I picked up this beautifully illustrated story of the author's immigration from Mexico to the US while at my local library.  I didn't think of it then, but am realizing it now that the timing for this particular book to win is spot on.  I will be surprised if Dreamers doesn't take home the "gold".


Other books I enjoyed perusing in 2018 were as follows:

Ocean Meets Sky by The Fan Brothers--Terry and Eric Fan


My favorite two-page spread from Ocean Meets Sky is the one below (Photo from Amazon)

Just look at that detail!

Also,
Imagine by Raul Colon


I would be happy with any or all of these winning a medal, but my favorite of 2018 will always be Hello Lighthouse!  Go for the gold, Sophie Blackall!

No comments:

Post a Comment