Monday, November 4, 2013

Assisi Embroidery

One of the many types of embroidery discussed in the Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Needlework book is Assisi Embroidery.  I think this type of embroidery is so beautiful!  So, I thought I'd try my hand at it. 


I found the pattern on the Internet at this LINK.  I printed it out on my printer and started stitching away at the outline.  The outline wasn't too bad to get the hang of, although the Holbein stitch really took patience and practice.  I found myself cheating and doing a back stitch for most of the outline. 

 

My fill-in stitches need quite a bit of work and practice. 
In hind-sight I wish I had researched a little deeper about how to do the actual stitching.  I went to the library but most needlework books only have 1 or 2 pages dedicated to Assisi Embroidery.
THIS website, however, is full of wonderful patterns, history and how-to instructions for Assisi Embroidery.  I wish I had taken the time to read through all of it before starting! 
But this is a small project, and hopefully I will come back to it in time.  I'd hate for it to go into the UFO file (unfinished object). 

Until another day, Happy stitching everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment