Friday, December 13, 2013

Umm....No Thanks


"What the heck?"

That's exactly what I whispered as I came across this ad from the 70's, for something called Pillsbury Food Sticks.  That, and, "You've got to be kidding me....Eeeww"  

I can just hear a mother from the 1970s saying, "Sorry Billy, I just don't have time to make you a snack today.  Mommy has to get ready to go to the movies, Daddy's taking me to see Smokey and the Bandit.  Have a food stick instead, then go run and play with your Sit-n-Spin and pretend to be Han Solo."



I'm not sure why I was so surprised (more like creeped out) by the fact that these once existed.  I mean, we have power bars today that are pretty much the same basic idea. 
But these....
These just seem weird.
But, I suppose they are no worse than eating a Toosie Roll.
After a bit of research, (because I had nothing else to do on a Tuesday night) I found that these were made as space food for our brave astronauts heading out into space.  Apparently, they are still made and are sold at Space Museum gift shops (although I'm not sure if Pillsbury still produces them).

Space Food Sticks by Pillsbury TV spot.

A big thanks to "Stopping By Memory Lane" on Facebook for introducing me to these.

Have a happy vintage day!!

1 comment:

  1. These were SOOO goood! The chocolate mint and the peanut butter were the best flavors. They were about the consistency of a tootsie roll. My brother and I used to fight over them :)

    ReplyDelete