Monday, June 16, 2014

Vintage Hats at the Millinery Shop--Kenmare Pioneer Museum

Today, we visit Cindy's Millinery Shop at the Kenmare Pioneer Museum.  This building had a large collection of vintage hats on display (non, actually for sale).

As much as I love vintage hats, I can't pull them off fashion wise.  I'm finding that you have to have just the right hairstyle to make a vintage hat look "authentic".  I'm working on the hairstyle, and maybe, if I can find just the right hat at an antique store somewhere, I will, once again, attempt to wear a hat .  Until then, here are a some 1940s gals who know how to wear hats!

Photo found at http://missamethystspowderroom.blogspot.com/ Miss Amethyst loves to live, and dress vintage!
Here is another interesting hat.  I like hats that sit off to one side.  And I'm not sure, because this photo wasn't labeled, but I'd swear that is Lucille Ball.
If I were to ever wear a 1940s hat, I would want it to be like this one that Meg Tilly wore in Bomb Girls.

I liked this red and black hat with what look like plastic cherries?  It reminded me just a bit of the hat Jeanne Crain wore in the move State Fair.
 

Jeanne Crain in State Fair with her red velvet hat with cherries attached.  I love this movie and all of its vintage goodness including dresses, hair and hats...oh and Dick Haymes isn't too tough to look at (or listen to) either haha!
If it were really shopping in this store in the 1940s I'd pick this up for my husband. 
 
 
He'd look good in a hat like this, but I'd have to glue it to his head in his sleep.  Sadly, he doesn't have a vintage bone in his body, and wouldn't be caught dead wearing a vintage hat unless it was Indiana Jones'.  
And I LOVE that vintage suitcase.  Vintage suitcases seem to be everywhere now and stacking them for decorative purposes and storage seems to be the popular thing to do (thanks to Pinterest), but there's something about this single suitcase I really like!

I like this hat box, below.  The graphics are interesting.  Hat boxes are quite large, and closet spaces back in the 30s, 40s and 50s were, from what I've seen anyways, quite small.  So it makes me wonder, did women put a number of hats in one box, or did they have a box for each hat?  I keep thinking the hats must have been worth it considering all the space their boxes took up!


Well, that's all for today!  Until another time, have a happy, vintage day!

No comments:

Post a Comment