Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Good Books, a Blanket, and a Cat

Every year, at about this time, I get the urge to read.  And not just one book, oh no, I go to the library and check out several.
My favorite genre of books, to accompany me into the fall season, are usually books based upon nostalgia.....the good old days.
The books that follow are just a few of my favorites.
 
 
I really enjoy Bob Artley's books full of childhood stories and the illustrations that accompany them.
This particular one, about the country school he attended, is one of my favorites.  It's filled with stories of walking to and from school and school programs such as the ever so exciting Christmas program.  There are stories about the noon hour, with lunchboxes full of homemade bread and butter and playground games. 

 
Looking at this book always reminds me a bit of the country schoolhouses I've gotten to visit in various museums.  It also reminds me of this diorama, in the Buffalo Trails Museum of Epping.  The diorama was made by local artist and former museum curator, Elmer Halverson.  It shows the classroom and teacher's quarters in the back.  I wish I knew the name of this school and if it was the country school Mr. Halverson attended as a child.

 
 
 
 
I also really enjoy the book Memories of a Farm Kitchen, also by Bob Artley. 
 
  
 Another book I'm fond of this time of year is Good Old Days On The Farm.
 
 
This book is also FULL of stories written by people who grew up on farms during the first half of the 20th century.  There are stories for all seasons including ones about the summer kitchen, feather beds, picking apples in the fall, Thanksgiving (which is my favorite) and Christmas celebrations.

And speaking of Christmas celebrations, I also LOVE Bob Arley's Country Christmas As Remembered by a Former Kid    This book is extra special because it was purchased at one of our favorite, locally owned bookstores, Books on Broadway. 


Above is my favorite two-page spread of an old fashioned Christmas happening at a grandparent's home, possibly a farm house.  It's amazing to me, when I tour some of these older homes in museums, how small the spaces are.  Everyone crammed into the living room or around the table, inside these not so very big houses.  Now a days, I hear people talk about how much space they need to entertain.  People did just fine back in the day with the space they had.
 
This book is full of wonderful drawings and paintings of Christmas parties at school, trips to the general store, and wintertime kitchens and chores.
 
So those are just a few of the books I've been pouring over this October and November.  Books about family, friends and the simple things in life.  They help me to remember what is important and they help me to be thankful for the things that I have.
 
That's all for today.  Until another time, grab a cozy blanket, book and comfy chair and happy reading!
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment