Saturday, November 25, 2017

Kuner's Can Bank

I like anything that has anything to do with vintage grocery stores. 
Especially these fun photos from Pinterest.
 
I actually USE Bon Ami in my kitchen and bathroom and love it! 
 
Image result for vintage grocery store
"I tell you, Marge, I just can't get over how quick and easy this instant JELL-O pudding is to whip up!"
Image result for vintage grocery store
She's thinking, "Oh Lord, here comes Martha Ann Stapleton again with her cart full of Aqua Net.  How that woman doesn't blow up when she lights up a Lucky is beyond me."
So, when I saw this cute little Kuner's Can Bank it whispered to me in that same little voice Red Owl items use to get my attention, and I knew I had to buy it.
I don't know much about the Kuner's brand but I think they started in Colorado.  I'm thinking this can bank was some kind of advertising promotion for the kiddies.  I'm guessing mid-to-late 1950s on this one just by looking at the kid's clothing.  (maybe even '53-'55)
 

The fruit side of the can is faded a bit more than the vegetable side.  Maybe it sat on a shelf in some little boy's bedroom with the fruit side facing out, catching the sunlight.  It might've been where he tucked away all of the dimes he received for mowing the lawn.  Maybe he was saving to buy a new baseball glove.  But as luck would have it, he received a new glove for his birthday from Uncle Frank and Aunt Metilda, so he longer needed to save his little dimes.  A few years later, the forgotten bank was shoved into his sock drawer, to make room on the shelf for his new Great Garloo. 
OR
Maybe our young saver realized there was NO WAY to open the bugger of a can without the help of his father's hack saw hanging out in the garage (or maybe just a can opener).  And after surrendering 5 dimes into it, he got fed up with not being able to withdraw a dime to buy this week's Archie comic, and therefore quit feeding it and tossed it into his Howdy Doody toy box. 
Yes indeed, there are 5 dimes inside that will never see the light of day unless I try my folks' "knife trick", and to quote the woman on You Tube, "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

 
The graphics on this can are so "vintage" I just love them.
 
 
"Bank on Kuner's Quality"--- How clever!...The Mad Men of Sterling Cooper Draper Price would be proud of that tag.
 
Well, that's all for today!  Until another time, save those dimes (to buy interesting, vintage items!) and have a happy vintage day!

No comments:

Post a Comment