Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Collier's February 1953

While at Vintage City I nearly fell over when I saw their new display of vintage magazines.  I bought quite a few because they are like little time capsules! 


One of the magazines I bought at Vintage City was this 1953 Collier's with the grocery shopping mom with her rambunctious boys on the cover.





I get such a kick out of this refrigerator, stove, sink combo every time I see an advertisement for it!
 



 
I was surprised to see an article about VA Hospitals including the one that used to stand tall in our little city.  This hospital no longer exists and from what I gleaned from the article, was never needed.  Part of me was sad that they built the thing so big when it wasn't needed, but part of me was thankful that the need wasn't there.  It wasn't FULL of wounded men and women coming home from the war. The building used to sit somewhere on the land where Burdick Job Corps is now, west of MSU.
 

 
And I just LOVE when there are little notes jotted down in the margins of magazines or catalogs! It gives them a personal touch and makes me wonder who the scribbler was. I'm not sure what all the notes mean.  Sweetheart 3:45-4 KFYR (KFYR was a radio and TV station in Bismarck ND back in the 1950s).  Dragnet Sun NBC.
 
 
I thought this cartoon was quite funny. "It's a father!  I'm a girl!  I'm a girl!"
 
 
The short story "The Little Bride" was quite interesting.  It was about a newly married bride (the dark haired woman in the picture below) who has had a fight with her husband and comes home for a spell.  She tells her sorrows to her younger sister (also pictured) and her mother.  The wise mother of the new bride explains that she doesn't want to hear it....the bride needs to hike up her big-girl panties and head back home to work things out with her husband.

 

 
                          Well, that's all for today, until another time, have a happy vintage day!

1 comment: