Sunday, July 14, 2019

June 1947 Life Magazine

After spending a little time arranging items at my Uncle Stan's collectables booth at a local market, last October, (he calls it fluffing things up a bit), he let me have a couple of swell Life Magazines! Thanks Uncle Stan!  I'm not real good at arranging things, but am getting better with practice.
 
This particular Life is from June 2, 1947 and has Jane Greer on the cover.  Greer was an actress.
 
 
Apparently silverware was a big deal in the '40s and '50s because I see and hear advertisements for them in print and on OTR quite often.
 
 
There were ads for fabric.  And the mom's sundress is adorable!
 


 
This is an interesting story, below.  Apparently, a boy was trying to break a flat piece of cement himself but couldn't, so he set it on the railroad track to let the train break it for him.  The train derailed injuring 4 people.  The police were unable to punish him, but "hope that parents of other clever children keep a close eye on them."----Now-a-days, that kid would've been in deep **** and the parents would've been sued.   
 

Here is a beautiful two-page spread for Max Factor make-up.  I think it would be fun to find some of those vintage make-up containers (possibly at a vintage shop or garage sale) and refill them with modern makeup.
 

 
 
Ah, Prell.  I heard a few years ago that Prell wasn't the best for hair,but I love her hair style.
 
 
The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer!  I just watched that on TCM earlier this spring.  It was a fun movie.  Cary Grant and Myrna Loy are a couple of my favorites from that era. If I had been a teen I would've cut out Myrna Loy's photo from this mag. and pasted it in my scrapbook.
 
 
Oh look, more silverware.  And some SHELLS!  I never noticed that article before, I'll have to go back and read that one.
 

 
White Dresses mark life's major occasions.
 




I love old radios and these are portables!  I wonder if the sound quality was any good.
 

 
Another radio advertisement, this one for Bendix with the cast of Duffy's Tavern.
 

 
9 favorite artists in one great album.  Includes North Dakota's own Peggy Lee.  Also, Martha Tilton with Johnny Mercer, and the Pied Pipers.---I'll have to look up some of these artists and songs.  I enjoy Martha Tilton and Johnny Mercer quite a bit and have some of their songs. 
 





 
I'm just love summer time BBQs and picnics like this one, below.
 

 
The large, brick BBQ pit reminds me of the I Love Lucy episode where they build their own BBQ in the back yard.  Lucy thinks she lost her wedding ring in the cement, so she and Ethel tear it all apart, then puts it back together crooked.  
 


I guess super markets have always been crowded.  While I like our big grocery store here in the city, I miss the time when there were neighborhood markets.  In fact, for a short time, I lived a block away from one and loved it.  I preferred it for my "everyday" shopping.  Sure, the prices were probably higher, and they wouldn't always have specialty items (had to go to the big grocery store for those), but for staples like bread, cake frosting, milk, pasta, cake frosting, soups, cheese slices, cake frosting, hamburger, etc. they'd do fine.  (Yes, during my college years, cake frosting was a staple).  The store even had a butcher in back and some of the best meats in town.
 


 
And finally, a Coke advertisement.  I've collected a few magazines over the years and have noticed that Coke seemed to like having the back cover.  I like the girl's sweater.  You don't see too many short sleeved cardigans anymore.  Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.
 


Well, that's all for today, I hope you enjoyed pursuing this Life magazine with me.  Until another time, have a happy vintage day!

No comments:

Post a Comment