Sunday, January 10, 2016

2015 Caldecott Predictions (or is it 2016?)

So, it dawned on me this evening that I have not written about my Caldecott favorites!  I thought I had plenty of time, but found out earlier this week that the ALA conference was THIS WEEKEND!  The Youth Award winners will be awarded very early tomorrow morning!  So, as I sit here typing it is 9:45 pm and I'm going to quickly share my "picks" for Caldecott with you.
 
First, I would LOVE to see Kevin Henkes win for his beautiful book, Waiting.
 
 

Or...I'd like to see FLOAT by Daniel Miyares win.  When I first saw this book, I LOVED IT!
I wish I could go into more detail here, but it's past my bedtime.  There are some really nice two page spreads in this book and some nifty reflection drawings.
 

My favorite book of the year was Mama Seaton's Whistle by Jerry Spinelli Ill by LeUyen Pham, which I received for Christmas.  I don't think this book has gotten much attention, and I don't think it will beat the two books above, but I like it.
 
 
Two other books I quite enjoyed looking at (pouring over is more like it) are Finding Winnie: The True Story of the Most Famous Bear by Lindsay Mattick Ill by Sophie Blackall,
 
and
 
Water is Water by Miranda Paul Ill by Jason Chin, which is beautiful! (I may actually have to buy this book, it's so well done.)
 
 
 But I honestly think the medal will go to either Waiting by Henkes, or Float by
 Daniel Miyares.  They are both so wonderful!
 
I would like to go into more detail but I am tired.  It is 10:18 and I will be getting up early to watch the awards live on my computer.
 
Good Night Ya'll!  Have a happy day tomorrow!
 
Update: 
There were four HONOR BOOKS announced!
 
Trombone Shorty Written by: Troy Andrews  Illustrated by: Bryan Collier
 
Waiting Written and Illustrated by: Kevin Henkes
 
Voice of Freedom By: Fannie Lou Hamer: The Spirit of the Civil Rights Movement Written by: Carole Boston Weatherford  Illustrated by: Ekua Holmes
 
Last Stop On Market Street  Written by: Matt De La Pena Illustrated by: Christian Robinson
 
The CALDECOTT MEDAL went to
 
Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World's Most Famous Bear  Written by: Lindsay Mattick Illustrated by: Sophie Blackall

All excellent winners!!

No comments:

Post a Comment