Saturday, June 23, 2018

Dale and Martha Hawk Museum 2018

Once again this year, my folks and I traveled to rural Wolford, North Dakota to visit the Dale and Martha Hawk Museum for their annual celebration.
Here I am in front of a 1941 Ford.  The dress is one I sumbled upon at the local consignment shop.  It is labeled Dress Barn and has kind of a late 30s-early 40s look to it.  I added the little red belt buckle and wore my "Grandma Walton" shoes which are also reproduction by Nine East and also bought second hand.
I wore a vintage string of pearls and vintage cameo earrings in black and cream.
I like the way the dress fits me, but it was warm.  The temperatures got up into the 80s and I was, to quote Ham in the Sandlot, "bakin' like a toasted cheese"


The door to the blacksmith shop had very ornate detailing, including the door knob.


My father counted 18 different kinds of pie!  And it was so reasonably priced! 3$ for a big slice of pie and large coffee.


 Yummy sour cream and raisin.


There was a little flea market/craft sale where I bought these neat little pieces.  Spent a total of 7$
The Ivory Starch box is neat because it is French on one side and English on the other (came from Canada I'm figuring).


This old projector is a neat item and fun to photograph.  If I recall, these make a kind of ticking or whirring noise when they run.  And if the film broke (which it sometimes did) the projectionist would have to quickly splice the film back together. 


Not sure why, but I like the looks of these cans.  Dirty, old, household or garage type cans that normally would've been thrown away, tell us a great deal about everyday life back in the day.

I also found it interesting that is says "Specially designed".  I quickly googled that and learned that the word specially is correct (I had no idea).  The word "especially" is used when singling out someone or something, "I like Neccos, especially those that are licorice flavored."  But when something is made special for a purpose or occasion, then the word "specially" is used.  "Shannan had a vintage refrigerator cake specially made for my birthday".

And there was your grammar lesson for today.


My mother ooohed and awed over this Royal Albert tea cup, saucer, cake plate, and maybe a salad plate and sandwich plate???  Good grief that's a lot of plates!  I like the unique shape of the plates, rather than being round they have a somewhat scalloped edging. 


This next photo is very interesting to me as I am a diary/journal keeper myself.  This is a weather diary kept by a local minister during the winter of 1935-1936.  One of the things I find interesting about it is on February 15, 1936 the lows in the area were as follows:
Gardena -61 below zero
Willow City -63 below zero
Parshall -60 below zero
Now what find strange is that Parshall, ND holds the record for coldest spot in the state at -60 below zero on Feb. 15, 1936.  But according to this diary, that honor (if you can call it that) should have gone to Willow City, ND for their -63 below zero.  Maybe it had something to do with Willow City not having an "official" weather service temperature recorder person? (what a cool job that would've been).


This child's alarm clock is quite possibly the cutest one I've ever seen!  It's a Roy Rogers clock and Trigger the horse gallops back and forth with each tick of the clock.  Yee-Ha!


As usual I had to have my photo taken next to the gas pump that sits in front of the Nanson store.


Yes, another old can.  I liked the graphics on the can below.


Inside the little house is this AMAZING linoleum! 


Cute kitchen....


One more cute kitchen picture....


Nope, one MORE cute kitchen picture.  Then I'm done I promise.

I
t was a very fun day with family food and vintage goodies all around. 
 That's all for today!  Until another time have a happy vintage day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment