Friday, March 7, 2014

Embroidered Felt Eggs

A few years ago, I found this great little Easter egg craft on the Making Ends Meet blog.  I've made a few eggs throughout the years and am back at it again this year.  It's a fun little project!  My chicks never turn out as cute as hers do, but that's okay. 

These are the supplies I use to created the eggs.  You can find the "how-to" directions on the Making Ends Meet blog.  They are fairly simple to make.  You will need two whole felt egg cutouts, cut one of the felt eggs across the middle.  You can use a decorative cut or a straight cut (the decorative cuts are "cuter").  Embroider designs such as vines and flowers on the two halves that were cut.  Then attach them to the back (whole) egg by stitching around the outsides.  Sometimes I use a blanket stitch, sometimes just a simple running stitch.  Do not stitch the middle, instead the middle becomes a pocket opening where a little chick will live.
 
 
To make the baby chick, I used yellow flannel (which I'm finding frays a bit too much along the cut edges.  Cotton might actually work better).  I used a circle template to draw the chick's front and back.  I satin stitched eyes and a beak (I might do a felt beak on my next chick), then added some cotton scrap wings.  I put a smaller piece of white felt in between the yellow circles, to give the chick some bulk and used a running stitch to sew the front and back together. 
 
 
So, that's what I've been up to in the evenings lately.  It is nice to work on something that I can give away, not just sit in a drawer for years on end and never be seen!  Plus, they are so nice and cheerful!  I hear this little chick saying, "Spring will soon be here!".
Until next time, have a happy, stitching day!


No comments:

Post a Comment