Monday, February 18, 2013

1937 Ladies' Home Journal with a Hasselriis Cover

What struck me most about this Ladies' Home Journal issue was the cover with its beautiful colors and design.  I was intrigued by it and wondered who created such a beautiful work of art.  Luckily, right there on the title page was a write up about the man who illustrated it, Malte Hasselriis.  He was inspired by a page of illuminated manuscript that someone had brought from London.  Mr. Hasselriis, being an amateur collector of illuminated vellums himself, designed this cover for Ladies' Home Journal.  He called it a labor of love.  I can see why.  It is beautifully done.
When I researched Mr. Hasselriis on the Internet, I found very little about him (not even on Wikipedia!), except that he might be from Denmark.
The only photo I have of him is the one from the magazine.
And here are some fun advertisements from this 1937 issue!
Ritz Crackers

Campbell's Soups

Apparently Santa prefers Camels (insert raised eyebrow here).
 
Ivory Flakes.  Good for dishes and for fine laundry.
 
This issue was packed with nifty advertisements!
 
Until tomorrow,
Have a Happy Vintage Day!
 

2 comments:

  1. You will also find a more under "Malthe" - though his name was spelled both ways, generally it had the "h" in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if my other comment about missed being added - sorry if it repeats. He was my grandfather - thank you so much for sharing this! I don't have a copy of the magazine so I didn't have the information you shared. I'm attempting to gather what I can to share with my grandchildren. I do not have much of his work, though my step-family does. He was very talented and a lovely man.

    ReplyDelete