Monday, September 2, 2013

Homemade Tea Party

After attending an American Girl tea at the American Girl Store in Minneapolis, Autumn wondered if she could have a tea party for her birthday.  I love thinking of new birthday party ideas, so after we got home I went right to work!
I found these plates on sale at Hobby Lobby for 75% off!  The candle sticks I used my 40% off coupon on (went back another day to get the 2nd one).
 

 I painted the candle sticks and hot glued them onto the plates in layers.
Here is the three-tiered plate thingy with goodies on it.  (I can't believe I didn't snap a photo of it empty!)

We soon found out that Autumn's best friends, (who are sisters) would soon be moving away and wouldn't be here for her birthday...So, we threw them a little "goodbye tea" instead.  I did my best to re-create some of the delicious treats we had tried back at the American Girl Store in Minneapolis.
 
The chocolate mousse flower garden (above) was probably our favorite, along with the mini cupcakes with frosting and sprinkles.  The sandwiches were easy...just regular bagels with cream cheese and cucumber slices, little buns with deli turkey and cheese and regular ham and cheese sandwiches cut into fun shapes with a cookie cutter.  Fruit kabobs on the bottom tray to start with along with mini blueberry muffins.
 

We found plastic glasses at Hobby Lobby that matched the plates used for the tea-time tray.  They were also on clearance and made great take-home keepsakes!  We fanned our the napkins (Vanity Fair ones with little shells on them) and tied the bottom of each napkin with pale turquoise ribbon that matched the paper plates.  We then stuck a little daisy stem into each tie.


The girls brought their dolls and a good time was had by all!

 
We were so glad to be able to have Autumn's "Besties" over for one last fun day before they moved.  And now that we know a tea party can be done (with much help from my loving mom...thanks Mom!)  we will once again attempt to do it all over again for Autumn's birthday!

Until another day, have a happy vintage day!

No comments:

Post a Comment