Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Embroidery Floss Organization

The bunny tea towel is finished and just in time for the Easter season.
I ended up going back to my favorite fabric store downtown, Bernina Plus, and found a fabric that was a bit more orange than the one I had chosen earlier.  I think it turned out okay.  The orange fabric was of course from their 30's feedsack collection and is called "playdate" by Nancy Mahoney for P&B Textiles.
Here is a closer look at our little bunny friend.

Once he was finished I decided to organize my floss a bit.  Well, apparently I can't organize floss just "a bit"  I decided to do something completely different with my system.
Uff-da! What a mess huh?  But there is a method to my madness, I promise.
I had two large boxes of floss.  One red/pinks through green/turquoise and another blue through brown/blacks.  Well, I didn't want to have to take two huge boxes of floss whenever I go to the lake or over to my Sis-in-law's to stitch.  I've always had my little travel box with most colors, but not every color.  So, I took out all of the duplicate floss cards and put them in one box (my back-up box) and then managed to squeeze one of EVERY color into one large box.  So now when I travel, I just bring one large box with all of my colors in it!
It's easier to explain with pictures.
First of all, aren't these pretty colors together?  I think they are very pretty and cheerful.

My little travel box in the corner.  It's fine for light travel and fits in my travel embroidery box.  Also there are the two boxes of ALL my floss colors including duplicates. 

Here are my duplicate cards.  There weren't as many as I thought there would be, some colors I only have one card of apparently. 
And here is the finished box of EVERY color of floss.  How I got them into one box is beyond me, and there's not much room for any new colors, but we'll see how this works out. 
*sigh* Aren't they pretty!?  I think so. 
Now, I just need to figure out what to do with this box. 
This box is full of odds-n-ends.  Some varigated floss, some J.P. Coats, some very old floss that is hard to work with as it knots up frequently.  Some of this thread came from my Grandma Henderson's collection.  Maybe I'll combine my duplicates and this box together! *lightbulb*
And what on earth is this?  (Duh, it's floss.)  I know it's floss but I've never seen this brand before.  Is it holy floss?   No, come to find out it is vintage floss from France.  I'm not sure where I got this but I have two perfect skeins of it in this beautiful pink color. 
These beauties are Algodon Egipcio made by Presencia, a Spanish company that is now selling in the US.  I found these in at the quilt shop in Bottineau ND.  I only bought the five colors you see here because at 1$ a piece there was no way I could buy them all (even though I wanted to) lol. Just to give you a comparison in price, DMC floss is around 39 cents per skein.  Presencia is pricy but they are lightfast, do not bleed or fade.  I suppose quilters use it for these reasons.

Embroidery floss is always so fun to organize!
Have a Happy Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment