Thursday, March 8, 2012

Glass Canisters

I saw these canisters on a blog  a long time ago (can't remember which blog) and absolutely love them! 
I don't know it they are the real deal, from the 30's and 40's or if they are reproduction, but I have three reproductions that I bought at Walmart a few years back and they look a lot like them.
My reproductions from Walmart.  They come with silver lids.
So here is my progress so far.  I am painting the lids with Apple Barrel paint and each lid takes 4-5 coats.  The final coat of red has a drop of black paint mixed in to make it more of a "brick" red.  The smallest lid has all of it's coats and is ready to be sprayed with clear-coat.
The final step will to be to find some cute 40's looking decals for both my canisters and my spice jars.
What!?  I haven't told you about my spice jars!  Well here they are.
One jar is different from the others, so I've been keeping my eyes open for single jars here and there.  Until then, one of them will just be special.

I picked up this spice rack and jars at a garage sale for 50 cents!  Score!  Now I just have to decide what color to paint it to match my kitchen.  I don't cook and therefore don't use many spices, but it is so cute!
Now if I could just figure out a way to cover up that ugly outlet!
Here is the CUTEST spice rack I think I've ever seen from Cynthia's Cottage Design!  Her whole kitchen is adorable.
Of course for serious collectors of vintage kitchen ware there is always the Griffith Spice Rack.  (image from Etsy). 
But I think they would be cuter with fruit labels.
Here is a set from Deluxeville's Blog that have cherries on them.  They are almost the same as the decals I want!
Here are the decals I'd like to get for my jars.
These are from Sweet Gal Decals which is an online decal store.  I'm thinking I'll have my jars washed and ready by my birthday, so may have to do some hinting to my DH.
 
I will have to pick some larger decals for my flour, sugar and powdered sugar jars.  That will be a tough decision.
Here is a link to Sweet Gal Decals site.  It's so much fun to visit! http://www.sweetgaldecals.com/home.php

Have a Happy Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment