Friday, September 14, 2012

In The Words Of Monty Python...

"And now for something completely different!"
Yes, I have switched gears from embroidery to drawing.  I don't know why I jump from one medium to the next, maybe it's creative ADD.  I can't stay with any one project for too long and I get bored. 

It's been almost a year since I've drawn or done anything creative with my pencils, and it's funny how one little thing can trigger a reawakening of creativity.

About a week ago a friend of mine posted a drawing on facebook.  Looking at it, I thought to myself, "That looks kind of familiar...I did something similar to that last year!"  So I dug through my sketches and sure enough I found this.


This was just a doodle...an exercise with my circle template gone wild.  So, I stared at it for a bit and wondered if I ever took it any further than this.  So back to the portfolio to dig a little deeper, and I found this!


It soon dawned on me that I had a star somewhere that I had created for a Christmas card that never materialized.  (An unfinished project!?  Whoa, like that never happens.)

So I dug again and found this.


Hmmm.  I wonder what it would look like if I combined the two?



The drawing is difficult to see because at this point I had only done it in pencil.  Wouldn't you know, after not having the desire to draw for so long...I finally have the creative bug and not a SINGLE working Micron pen in the house! 


Here it is "inked", but I'm not satisfied with it.  I want the design positioned differently on the paper.
So, off to the light board to trace and then off to the copy machine (thanks DH) to make some copies.  Why make copies?  I NEVER EVER color an original until I know for sure what colors work together.  Once, I did color an original and hated it, but what was done was done, the original was ruined.  Now, I always test what colors will look best together etc, etc, before I color the actual original. 


Now it's time to start coloring.  I usually do a rainbow of colors, but today I want to experiment with warm and cool colors.  Warmth in the middle.  Coolness on the outside.
Deep in the back of my mind I kept saying the verse, "Jesus Christ is the light of the world, the light no darkness can overcome."  The verse seems to connect to the picture with the light in the center and sky around it. 


Here is the drawing so far...and it is here that I sit at a crossroads.  The project isn't exactly what I had envisioned, but with 6 hours already into it, I feel the need to keep pushing it along.  OR do I start from scratch and sketch until I get it just the way I want it?  Maybe I'll do both.

Who knows how long this moment of creativity will last.  But it feels good to have the pencil case out and to see all of those happy colors lined up in a row on my desktop.

Until another day,
Have a creative day!

No comments:

Post a Comment