Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Happy Children's Book Week 2013

It's National Children's Book Week!!  If you are interested, here is a link to the official NCBW website http://www.bookweekonline.com/

And just in time for this special week....
This past Mother's Day, my loving husband and daughter surprised me with copies of Thunderstorm by Arthur Geisert and The Dark by Lemony Snicket Illustrated by Jon Klassen. 
Being a huge fan of Arthur Geisert's illustrations, this wordless picture book has been on my wish-list for a few weeks and it  doesn't disappoint.  The illustrations are full of detail and emotion as a family travels from farm to farm and through the countryside with their load of hay....all the while they are keeping an eye on the thunder clouds forming above.  I hope I do not spoil the ending too much by saying that I enjoyed last few pages where many neighbors gathered to make light work of a big job. 

Even though it is only May, and there are many more new books coming off of the presses, The Dark is my pick (so far) for then next Caldecott.  There is just something about the way it is illustrated that is mysterious, and thoughtful.
Two excellent books to add to our collection.
Until another day, happy reading!    

No comments:

Post a Comment