Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Dresden Quilt-Color Dilemma-Yellow

The Dresden quilt is coming along!  I've been working on it all summer and fall.  The flowers have been done for some time, and I've just been waiting for the right color of yellow to come along for my frames.  (Frames?  I'm not sure that's right.  Maybe rails?  I don't know.)
 
I'm not following a pattern, so there are a lot of papers in my quilting stuff that look like the ones below.  I know what is in my head, it's just sometimes hard to transfer my ideas to paper.
 
 
I've been looking for just the right kind of yellow.
The photos below show the two shades of yellow that I have.
 
The first is a lighter yellow made by Moda.  I purchased 3 yards of the stuff at a local quilt shop thinking I had FINALLY hit the jackpot.  Now, I'm not so sure.  I think it might be too light.
 
 
The next is an older piece of fabric from Hobby Lobby.  As much as I love Hobby Lobby I have to be honest about this fabric.  It's not the best quality I'm sad to say.  When you hold it up to the light it's a little more "transparent" than the "Moda" brand of fabric. But I like the color.  It's a little darker and just looks better than the lighter color. 
 
 
Oh, and I know one of my flowers has a "rainbow" pattern to it.  That one is one that daughter set up for me.  It's a little too "happy and bright" for my taste.  I've noticed that the whole quilt has swayed from the vintage 1930s feed sack look to the reproduction, candy store, pastel look that I was trying to avoid. 
 
Here is what I mean...
The photo below is of a real feed sack quilt.  It's more of a primary colored hodge podge and there is not a whole lot of matching going on with it's bright colors and patterns. I love it.
 
Next, we have a quilt done in reproduction fabrics that is still very cute and pretty, but also very "pastel" looking.  To be honest I was going for something a bit in-between.  (both photos are from Pinterest, therefore, I have no clue who to give original credit to).
Dresden Plate doll quilt...<3
 Looking at my quilt flowers, I should have thrown more black and white, primary prints, and bigger prints into my mixes.  But like folks always say, hindsight is always 20/20.
 
I did see a BEAUTIFUL quilt, earlier this fall, while visiting my folks out west.  We went to a local quilt show and I LOVED this quilt!
 
 
The quilt was made by a gal named Ruth Olson of Williston.
I love her choice of yellow for her borders.  I have a snippet of that pattern in pink but not in yellow and can't find it online.  I wish I knew who designed and manufactured that particular yellow pattern with little white ball flowers on it.
 
 
I could stare at this quilt for an hour!  It's total eye candy.
 
 
I like the pastel look with this one.  It seems fitting.
 
Well, that's all for today.  I'm going to keep chugging along on my quilt, and I'll keep ya'll posted on my progress. Until another time, have a happy stitching day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment