Monday, December 14, 2015

Krazy Ikes

My dad brought me this little box the other day.
 
 
What could be inside? 
 
 
No WAY!  Krazy Ikes. 
 
 
My dad has had these Krazy Ikes since he was a kid.  When my brother and I were just knee high to a grasshopper, he would sometimes let us play with them.  We always had to be careful and we always had to give them back.  Playing with them was a special treat for us.
 

I have to admit, when I was little I thought the man's head was a little creepy...or spooky (still do).  Those hollow eyes with that worried expression that makes you wonder if he just witnessed something worthy of a Stephen King novel.
 

 
I'm not sure if these are from the 50s or the 60s.  Some of the "bodies" have a marble-pearly look to them and some of the smaller pieces are more rubbery than plastic. But they are for sure "keepers" and very special to me.  So, thank you much, Dad!
 
 
According to the internet, Krazy Ikes were produced by Whitman Publishing Company from 1954 to 1965.  The box below is an image I found on Ebay.  The seller has the date of 1954 on this entry.
 
 
Krazy Ikes also came in tall canisters.  This image is from Pinterest and it says 1954-57.
 
 
It would be fun to find them in a catalog, or to find an advertisement for them, someday.
 
Well, that's all for today.  Until another time, have a Krazy kind of day!
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Do you know how many pieces were in a complete set? I have searched the internet and can not find the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know how many pieces were in a complete set? I have searched the internet and can not find the answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'm afraid I don't. My guess would be around 50 pieces, but that's just a guess. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete