Monday, May 23, 2016

Little Philco Transitone PT-6

Some of you may remember, from previous posts that I enjoy old time radio (OTR)...a lot.  I listen to it everyday (no, I'm not kidding, I'm that much of a geek).  Because I'm a vintage loving gal, I have a love/hate relationship with modern technology, including computers and smart phones.  But I have to admit, if it wasn't for my computer I wouldn't have discovered OTR. Without my computer I would not have the capability to download great music and shows from The Internet Archives and OTR websites. And without my iPhone, I wouldn't be able to listen to my OTR playlists anywhere, anytime. 

Along with my love of OTR I love old radios.  Not so much of a love that I want to collect them, I just want ONE perfect little radio from the late 30's or early 40's, and this past spring, I FOUND ONE!!

 
 It's a cute little Philco Transitone PT-6 from 1941.  It's in pretty bad shape (that's the understatement of the year) and I don't plan to refinish it anytime soon.  The insides are all there, but it needs new tubes, a new cord, and do-dads here and there.  But for 10$ I'm not picky.  I just loved the look of it!

 

 
 
Just for kicks I looked on YouTube to see if anyone has one that actually works...someone does. 
It's about a 3 minute video (my Dad will like it).  It's just too bad that it only plays modern stations.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could have time traveling radios that could somehow tap into old airwaves, and we could always have OTR playing on our old radios.  Ha!
 

  
Well, that's all for today, until another time, have a happy,

1 comment:

  1. Try listening to my radio station:

    www.iradeo.com/station/137478

    ReplyDelete