Monday, April 7, 2014

Easter Egg Cookies Completed!

Whew!  What a busy weekend!  It's amazing how having an enjoyable project can lift one's spirits! 
Saturday morning I got up bright and early, finished my chores, and set to mixing the cookie dough.  While the dough chilled for an hour in the fridge, daughter and I watched an episode of the Walton's.  Then, it was time to cut out and bake the delicious egg shapes.  After they were baked, the cookies were layered into a cake pan, and then put into the fridge to cool completely, before they could be frosted.  If the cookies are not cooled completely, the frosting will not set properly.

By Saturday evening, I had most of the cookies frosted.  I started with the base colors and outlined each shape with "thicker" frosting.  After the outlines were fairly dry, I "flooded" each cookie with a thinner frosting of the same color.  This base coat took about 45 minutes to an hour to harden.  After the base was hardened, I started to add the decorative details.   I used thicker frosting for the details (but not too thick).

Base coat
Saturday night.  By the time I reached this far, my hands were soar from squeezing the little bottles.  I think I need to buy some different bottles.

 
Sunday afternoon, I mixed up a quarter batch of icing and finished decorating the eggs.

Here they are finished. 
I wish I had been a bit more careful with the decorative details, but these eggs were good practice.  They will make their way to daughter's Monday evening choir group!

No comments:

Post a Comment