Wednesday, August 22, 2012

1927 Needlecraft Magazine

One of my favorite finds from over the weekend is this December 1927 Needlecraft Magazine.  This was a special find for me because just earlier in the week I'd read an article in Mary Jane's Farm about needlework.  MJF magazine had recreated, through photography, a cover of a Needlecraft magazine from July of 1928.  It showed a little girl holding a sampler behind her back.  They showed the cover of the Needlecraft Magazine and I was fascinated by the fact that there was such a magazine back then!  I had seen Workbasket Magazines, but never a Needlecraft.  I wanted to know more about them.

And now, I own one!  Eeeek!


I just love the colorfully illustrated cover.
It's not in the best of shape and has some water damage to it. It will get the onion and vanilla treatment (to elimitate the musty smell). And hopefully then, I'll be able to thumb through it without having to wear a mask.

Here are some pages from the inside.


Herrschner's as in THEE Herrschners that are still around today?!  That's pretty cool.
Aahh, the fashions of the late 20's.  Not so sure I care for them, but those dresses would hide a bit of a tummy if one had one.  But the dresses really didn't do anything for those who did have a figure either did they?
A small stitching lesson.
I thought this little tot in her embroidered bib sure was cute!

Crochet directions are like reading Greek to me.  I don't understand it at all.

Handmade bags.  I like the little marble bag with the two squirrels on it.
Here is the pattern.  And if you look very closely, you can see that this pattern was hand drawn.  Well, duh.  There were no computer programs to create patterns.  Those little squares inside squares are hand drawn!
This ad is my favorite.  Don't you just hate it when a long phone call keeps you from your cinnamon rolls? 

Well, that's all for today.  Hope you enjoyed a little trip back to good ole 1927.
Until tomorrow,
Have a Happy, Vintage Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment