Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Saturday Evening Post July 1952 Cover by Steven Dehanos

I'm so excited to show you full scans of the Saturday Evening Post I purchased.  It's from July 19, 1952.  My husband has a large scanner at his office so we drove over on a couple of Sundays ago and I scanned a few pages from two of my larger vintage magazines!  What a dear of him to help me with my sickness *ahem* I mean hobby of collecting vintage magazines!
Today we'll look at the Post.


The cover, done by artist Steven Dehanos, is actually one of his famous ones.  On the table of contents page there is a written description of the painting that reads...
 
"Now Hark!" quoth daddy just before they all left home.  "This being everybody's vacation, you children and I will wash the dishes after every meal, understand?"  Mother beamed upon her loving kin.  So here they are getting a nice change, and daddy can't do the dishes because there isn't room for everybody at the sink, wherefore he has elected the kids to do them this time and he will next.  For half an hour the kids have been yelling that they will be there in a minute.  Profound question:  Is mother a heroine or a pushover?  We think she should leave the mess and go jump in the sea.  And at dinnertime say, "Get yourselves some bread and water.  No dishes, no cook."  Once would fix 'em.  But she won't do it, the wrongheaded darling. 

Isn't that funny!?  Poor mother.  I'd surely be tempted to leave the dishes just to teach those kids a lesson.  They would learn quickly that dried, stuck-on food is harder to clean off of a plate!

And here is a bright colorful refrigerator ad from G.E.

And here's a beautiful one from 7-Up!  I would just love to have one of those strawberry ice cream floats they are making!


And this two page ad (I'm only showing the one page) for Chevrolet is probably my favorite.  I just love the picnicking scene.

And then there is this one from Mobilgas that encourages drivers to look for the 3 Diamond Signs.  These signs meant a CLEAN restroom!  Oh how I wish gas stations were like they were back in the 40's and 50's (even in the 80's in our small town.)  A man would come running out of the station to fill the tank, wash the windows, and sometimes even check the oil and tires!  Now I go to the gas station, pump my own gas (that is if I can figure out the buttons on the computerized pump), and wash my own windows.  By the time that's all done I'm freezing near to death, so I don't even glance at my tires ha!


And finally I'll leave you with this.  I'm sorry, but is anyone else thinking Blueberries For Sal gone wrong?  I know...that wasn't very nice of me, but I thought it was kinda funny.

That's all for today!  Until another time, have a Happy Vintage Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment