Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Vintage Ads Wednesday 3

For todays vintage ads, we are flipping through my October 1950 Woman's Day.  Hard to believe this particular magazine is 63 years old!  And we'll start off with an ad for Tide.  I love vintage laundry ads because they always make washday look like great fun!
 
 

And just take a look at the beautiful oven.  It's pretty cute if you ask me.  The stove I have now is one that I really love, but to have one from the late 40s or early 50s would be the icing on the cake!
Actually, when the Mr. and I were looking at houses, there was one that had a kitchen I absolutely adored and a stove much like this one. 

Unfortunately, with the housing market so high in our area, this house was way out of our reach. But I know the gal who lives next door and I told her to call me as soon as she sees that cute little stove get tossed to the curb! 

And here's something to bake in the cute little oven.  I've also seen this recipe cut out and kept in a vintage cook book that my mom bought at a sale.  It was probably a quite popular cake to make back in the early 50s.  It looks simple enough.  And the recipe is from scratch!  No box mixes used here, no sir, it calls for sifted cake flour, baking powder, the works.  I just might have to try it sometime when I have a free Saturday and the weather cools off a bit for baking.

This is a colorful ad, even though I don't particularly care for fruit cocktail.


And finally an ad for Nucoa Oleomargarine.  I just love the illustrations of the busy bodies out having fun on a fall day.  They are headed to a picnic!

Here is a close up of the group eating their picnic.  Oh I wish I were there too!
There are other Nucoa ads out there depicting this family, done by the same illustrator, and I hope to find one in good condition.  The ones I've seen online are just too blurry.
 
Hope you enjoyed today's ads.  Until another time, have a Happy Vintage Day!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment