Monday, January 9, 2012

The Notebook

Okay, okay.  I know that I'm about seven years behind everybody else, but I finally sat down this weekend and watched "The Notebook", staring Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling.  It was on TV and I started to watch it was because of it's late 30's early 40's setting, and the hair and clothing were fun to see.  The story was so romantic that it swept me in and I couldn't turn it off!  Spoiler alert if you havn't seen it, you may not want to read any further....

I mean this guy was seriously devoted.  Her parents disapproved.  He sent her a letter EVERY DAY for a year, even though he never got one in return!  He went to war, grew a beard, then fixed up a house that was nearly falling down, because he promised her he would (even though he saw her happy with someone else).  He NEVER gave up!  And that kiss...are you kidding me!  There's a reason it won "Movie Kiss of the Year" from MTV.  And of course there had to be a love triangle, so she had to make a choice.  And the ending was so sad but sweet.  Two hours and half a box of Kleenex later I can say that this movie was everything a romantic movie should be.  Check out the trailer below.


Sometimes I think that romantic movies do us more harm than good, because after watching one we may be tempted to think, "why can't my life be like that" or "why can't my husband do romantic stuff like that?".  Ummm, because it's a movie!  I think everyone needs a little romance in their life once in awhile.  But lets be realistic, we girls don't all need duck ponds, passionate kisses in the rain, or a man standing on his porch wrapped in a Hudson Bay blanket (seriously, watch the movie).  Sunday morning, my husband scraped the frost off of my windshield.  Now that's love.  You see, even the smallest gestures count, like taking out the trash when it's full, or handing us a drink of water when we're choking.  These are the things we women really want. (Although, if my husband wanted to send me a love letter every day for a year I think I'd be okay with that too.)

Anyways, neat story, great cast, fun costumes and sets.  Now maybe I'll try and read the book.
Have a great day!
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment