Thursday, March 5, 2015

Shelf of Vintage Goodies

The area above my computer desk got a make-over the other day.
 
I forgot to take a before picture, but this old picture (with my kitty in it) will have to do.
 
 
Decorating this wall is a bit difficult because of the light switch.  As much as I love the art print, framed in black, it just doesn't mesh with the vintage feel I'm going for, in the kitchen.
 
So, off to Hobby Lobby daughter and I went to buy a shelf.  We found a shelf that would have to do.  It's a bit larger than what I originally wanted.  But I suppose a larger shelf just means more space for goodies, right?

 
We also looked at reproduction signs at Hobby Lobby.  They have an awesome selection of repro signs!  As much as I'd like to have something NOT reproduction, "real" vintage signs just aren't in my budget.  Besides, it would be a challenge to find a "real" vintage sign that speaks to me...it could take years.
 
 
This Pepsi sign seemed perfect.  It had the dark blue color on the top and bottom that would match my blue kitchen wall perfectly.  A person can't go wrong with red, white, and blue decor.
 
 
And it fit inside the frame's brackets.  We wish the sign was just a bit smaller, but it works.
 
 
Also found at Hobby Lobby was this really cool "chalk" paint. 
The paint I bought was a little too red, so I added a little yellow craft paint and it came out just right!
 
 
I used the little sanding card to distress the paint afterwards.  That's something I'd never done before and I found out it's not as easy as the experts make it seem.
 
Here is the finished shelf.
 

Now, let's just hope I can keep my kitty off of the shelf.  I want so badly to put my little star bowl up there, but if it fell and broke I'd be really blue.  So the cream colored bowl will have to do.
 
 
That's all for today.  Until another time, have a great, vintage day!

No comments:

Post a Comment